Monday, March 10, 2008

Baking Disaster to the 10th degree!!

Ok, so this picture is really not what you think it is.

Christian says it's brain poo. It was supposed to be this recipe: Carolyn's Orange Rolls. I absolutely love the Pillsbury orange rolls so I thought I'd give this recipe a try. I diligently read a few of the comments and then embarked on my experience. The general consensus from the comments was that the dough was extra sticky, so make sure that you put lots and lots and lots of flour down when you roll it out.

Here's how things transpired:
1st: I added all ingredients to my bread machine. (I usually do this for the initial kneading and rising because I'm not a big fan of the kneading.) I put the yeast in warm water and then a few minutes later added it to the mixture and started the machine. (Ok it was HOT, which I now know killed my yeast!)
2nd: 7 hours later the bread machine has been done for a while but it looked like the dough might have risen and it was super sticky just like the comments said. (I really should have just stopped at this point, but I REALLY wanted orange rolls!)
3rd: I rolled the dough out with tons of flour. In my excitement to finally roll out the rolls, I didn't put nearly enough dough on the underside, causing the entire rectangle of dough to stick really, really well to my counter. Still I didn't give up. I zested the orange and added the butter and sugar to the rectangle in preparation for rolling them up. By this time I'm really excited because it's really smelling like orange rolls.
4th: Doesn't really come off of the counter...it gets really stuck. I decided that it was too sticky to even cut into little rolls so I just tried to roll it up and make a orange loaf. (I can always cut it after it bakes) Once again, I should have stopped at this point.
5th: I put it on a cookie sheet for it to rise a little more. It didn't rise, just mushed into a puddle. (Still I try...) When I realize it's not rising I just decide to stick it into the oven anyway. (Don't ask me why, just really stubborn I suppose.)
6th: After being in the oven for 10 minutes it smells so so good! I peek in on it and see little globs of it falling off the sheet, all over my oven. At this point I decide that I'm done with it. This is when the picture was taken. All I could do was laugh. I let the puddle slime it's way into the trash can and I can't help but think....It sure smells good still!

Lesson Learned: Even though it smells good, doesn't mean it LOOKS or IS good!

This picture was taken of the mess after I took it out of the oven:
Don't worry, I'll try again soon, and will try really hard not to kill the yeast!

On another more positive note:

Christian made these delicious Jalapeno Cheddar WonTons! He put diced cheese and jalapenos inside the wrapper and fried them up. They were wonderfully crunchy and cheesy and spicy. YUM!

2 comments:

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh my goodness Erin. This was so funny.

I had a little baking disaster involving yeast the other day too. I was making pizza and used a new recipe. I've actually used an altered version of it before, but I forgot that I altered it. The original recipe called for about twice as much salt as my normal recipe. It was so much salt that it killed my yeast (which I know was good because I'd proofed it first). It didn't rise at all and was the first time my pizza dough was a failure!! We tried baking it up too (without toppings), but it was just dense and didn't puff at all. When we tasted it we realized that there was way too much salt. I made it again with half the salt today and it turned out much better.

So: DON'T GIVE UP! You should try it again. Now you know. (And if you do have a candy thermometer or meat thermometer, you can take the temp. of the water. It should be 110*.

becki said...

I LOVE those orange rolls too, so if this recipe ever pans out let me know-but you're right that picture is SO gross!! it's classic. those chedder pops look delish-good job to the chefs!!